Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Night Shift diet


Being a nurse who intermittently works night shift, I've always struggled with...what do I eat?...when do I eat?...etc! I either feel like I overindulge on junk or don't eat enough!

I was excited to see that Dr. Moreno included a Shift work chapter in his 17 Day Diet book!!! I'm actually work night shift this week! How fitting!!! Here are a few facts about shift work:
  • "...shift work, including night work, disrupts the body's "circadian rhythm"- the internal clock that governs eating, sleeping, body temperature and other regular biological processes, all hardwired and regulated to the rising and setting of the sun."
  • "...late shift workers gained an average of 9.5 pounds during their late shift tenure, while their day shift counterparts gained only 2 pounds."
  • "...there is a hormonal issue. When you sleep and eat at irregular times, you metabolism gets thrown out of whack."
  • "Shift workers have two to three times as many digestive problems as their peers on the day shift." Dr. Moreno 17 Day Diet
So...with this being said...be nice to those people who do shift work!!!

Night shift menu-

When you wake up- Breakfast
2 eggs, fruit, yogurt
(or) oatmeal, eggs, fruit (0r) cereal, (or) egg white omelet w/spinach and fruit, coffee

6pm-8pm (Before shift)-Dinner
Grilled Chicken, veggies, fruit (or) pork chop, veggie (or) grilled chicken, veggies, fruit,
(or) Green Salad w/ oil and vinegar dressing with chicken.

3am-4am (Lunch @ work)
Tuna with 1Tbsp EVOO/Vinegar over lettuce, yogurt, (0r) shrimp salad and yogurt (0r) pita sandwich (or) Green salad with chicken, yogurt.

After shift/before sleep
Fruit

Hopefully this will help me get through night shifts...and who knows..someone else will stumble across this and find it helpful!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment